To make matters worse, I think that it is a nesting panopticon. As
individuals we are watching others watch us. As social participants we are
part of society's watching of individuals. As members of human
civilization, we are a spectator of the collective voyeurism of biology,
chemistry, and physics, who are not completely privy to our watching, as we
are not privy to what our unconscious presence knows about us. It's all
awareness that is masked and masked again, with each mask susceptible to
occasional leakage or translucence.

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:46:14 AM UTC-4, Stephen Lin wrote:
> A quote I got somewhere: "Understanding that the world is a Panopticon is
> the easy part; the hard part is figuring out whether you're on the inside
> looking out or the outside looking in."
> Anyone have any thoughts? :) Personally, I find it interesting that
> quantum physics allows _either_ non-determinism or non-local determinism,
> and relativity seems to imply that non-local determinism, if it exists, can
> never be proven without violating causality. Very much a Panopticon:
> there's plausibly anyone watching and also plausibly everyone watching, and
> no way of finding out which.
> Furthermore, if physics is always symmetric, then you can't tell if, in
> the process of watching, you're actually the one being watched instead :)
> -Stephen

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit