On 10/17/2013 2:46 AM, Stephen Lin wrote:
A quote I got somewhere: "Understanding that the world is a Panopticon is the easy part; the hard part is figuring out whether you're on the inside looking out or the outside looking in."

I thought the Panopticon was conceived as a way that everyone could be watched - an concept since realized by the NSA.

Brent

Anyone have any thoughts? :) Personally, I find it interesting that quantum physics allows _either_ non-determinism or non-local determinism, and relativity seems to imply that non-local determinism, if it exists, can never be proven without violating causality. Very much a Panopticon: there's plausibly anyone watching and also plausibly everyone watching, and no way of finding out which.

Furthermore, if physics is always symmetric, then you can't tell if, in the process of watching, you're actually the one being watched instead :)

-Stephen

No virus found in this message.