On 17 Oct 2013, at 11:46, Stephen Lin wrote:

A quote I got somewhere: "Understanding that the world is a Panopticon is the easy part; the hard part is figuring out whether you're on the inside looking out or the outside looking in."

Anyone have any thoughts? :) Personally, I find it interesting that quantum physics allows _either_ non-determinism or non-local determinism, and relativity seems to imply that non-local determinism, if it exists, can never be proven without violating causality.

I don't think QM allows non_determinism, nor non_locality. Only Copenhagen QM does that, but it does not make sense.

Very much a Panopticon: there's plausibly anyone watching and also plausibly everyone watching, and no way of finding out which.

Furthermore, if physics is always symmetric, then you can't tell if, in the process of watching, you're actually the one being watched instead :)

So the question you raised above is solved. But I am not sure that symmetry entails what you seem to see. What is an observer? If you assume it is a sort of machine, QM has to be derived from simpler principle.

Bruno

-Stephen