On 30 October 2013 16:07, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We don’t know that chemical reactions are unconscious...

The brain is chemical reactions and consciousness seems to happen when
these chemical reactions happen, and not when they don't happen. This
we know. We don't know if consciousness of a strange type happens when
a hammer hits a nail, for example. It might, it might not. The hammer
might also have free will: "I hit the nail because I decided to hit
the nail. If I didn't decide to hit the nail I wouldn't have hit it.
Sure, my action could be ascribed to a series of mechanistic events,
but these mechanistic events follow from my decision, not the other
way around."

--
Stathis Papaioannou