From: Chris de Morsella <cdemorse...@yahoo.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Nov 15, 2013 9:03 pm
Subject: RE: Global warming silliness

From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of spudboy...@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2013 5:14 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com

>>To perform a fix on the climate, and I am giving the IPCC supporters the
>>benefit of the doubt, we must have abundant clean sources at the ready. We
>>need terawatts of clean, because gigawatts are insufficient. Some can be
>>replaced by higher efficiency homes and devices, and cars-but this will only
>>takes us so far.  Think terawatts, not negawatts, and what tech we are going
>>to use to replace the dirty? Faster please.

You ignore the potential easily realizable savings that can be achieved by
retro-fitting our existing buildings and homes. Thiis is truly the low hanging
fruit and the scale of potential on-going energy savings is huge. For example

Read report:
http://www.mckinsey.com/clientservice/electricpowernaturalgas/US_energy_efficiency/
The global consulting firm estimates that $520 billion in investments would
reduce U.S. non-transportation energy usage by 9.1 quadrillion BTUs by 2020 -
roughly 23 percent of projected demand. As a result, the U.S. economy would
save more than $1.2 trillion and avoid the release of some 1.1 gigatons of
annual greenhouse gases, an amount equal to replacing 1,000 conventional
500-megawatt coal-fired power plants with renewable energy.

Or the comparison given in the report “The reduction in energy use would also
result in the abatement of 1.1 gigatons of greenhouse-gas emissions
annually—the equivalent of taking the entire US fleet of passenger vehicles and
light trucks off the roads.”

Achieving this kind of reduction in producing carbon dioxide and in annual
fossil energy consumption is not nibbling at the problem around the edges –
this represents the single largest and most important & immediate thing we can
do to change the picture on the ground. And is something that will need to be
done anyway. Doing this will increase the energy security (and military and
economic security as well) of the US by making our country much leaner and able
to prosper and live in comfort on far less energy – an carbon footprint impact
the equivalent of removing the entire fleet of cars and light truck from the
nation’s roads and highways. You cannot get more major impact than that.
Chris