On 24 Nov 2013, at 17:27, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 5:02 PM,  <spudboy...@aol.com> wrote:
Do you think that Conway's Game of Life and this new app, speak to the notion that we ourselves might be living within a cellular automata (more of
a Von Newmann thing then Conway)??

This is really cool, but I don't think that the GoL is enough to model
fundamental reality.

GoL can emulate it, but cannot emulate it in polynomial time (assuming P ≠ NP, etc.).

My intuition is that it is sufficient to capture
some aspects of it, maybe enough to create a toy model that bootstraps
evolutionary processes. On the other hand, the type of locality in GoL
seems too simplistic.

I believe that the GoL is Turing-complete, so if you accept comp you
can imagine the universal machine running in the medium of the GoL,
but I don't think this is what you're looking for.

Probably not. Gol illustrates well the difference between emulation, polynomial emulation and modelization. To emulate the violation of Bell's inequality, we have to find a Gol pattern which dovetails on the many worlds (the universal wave) and their interference, if not the UD itself (in case comp is true it would be the only correct way).

Bruno

Telmo.