On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 10:37 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Because there are no obvious signs of government in the universe, I would
> say.

I agree. People underestimate the complexity that can arise from
multiplying simple behaviours by many entities. Here's a beautiful example:

http://vimeo.com/16256894

Everything here is the outcome of the behaviours of simple agents following
simple rules in reaction to their local environment. This example has two
types of agents: preys and predators. If we consider the fantastic number
of ways in which molecules can aggregate and interact, it's possible to
imagine how something like this can scale up to the complexity of the human
body.

Under some such environment, when replicators emerge, evolutionary
processes take over and thus begins the climb up mount improbable.

I never found a proponent of interventionist gods who seemed to grasp
what's possible with simple rules and building blocks.

This does not explain consciousness, of course. There are enough deep
mysteries to existence as is.

Telmo.