On 12/1/2013 7:35 PM, LizR wrote:
On 2 December 2013 16:16, Richard Ruquist <yann...@gmail.com <mailto:yann...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    MOND is an alternative explanation that replaces Dark Matter by modifying
gravity.

Yes (hence the flippant remark about bolt on extras)

    Dark Matter results when gravity is not modified. (pure Newtonian)

Or rather Einsteinian, I don't think Newtonian gravity predicts gravitational
lensing?

Sure it does, but only half as strong as GR.

Brent

    IMO John Moffat has a much better mod-gravity theory
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0506021.pdf

That VSL idea sounds familiar, I may have heard of that before. I would imagine it solves the horizon problem and does away with the need for inflation in the early universe; if he can also sort our dark matter and dark energy he's doing rather well, all he needs after that is an "acid test" that will distinguish his theory from GR (much as the 1919 eclipse was supposed to have been the acid test for GR vs Newtonian gravity) and he can claim his Nobel (if he hasn't got one already).

In fact, I'm fairly sure we have the Magueijo book somewhere. (When do I get my
ansible?)