On 2 December 2013 16:16, Richard Ruquist <yann...@gmail.com> wrote:

> MOND is an alternative explanation that replaces Dark Matter by modifying
> gravity.

Yes (hence the flippant remark about bolt on extras)

> Dark Matter results when gravity is not modified. (pure Newtonian)

Or rather Einsteinian, I don't think Newtonian gravity predicts
gravitational lensing?

> IMO John Moffat has a much better mod-gravity theory
> http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0506021.pdf

That VSL idea sounds familiar, I may have heard of that before. I would
imagine it solves the horizon problem and does away with the need for
inflation in the early universe; if he can also sort our dark matter and
dark energy he's doing rather well, all he needs after that is an "acid
test" that will distinguish his theory from GR (much as the 1919 eclipse
was supposed to have been the acid test for GR vs Newtonian gravity) and he
can claim his Nobel (if he hasn't got one already).

In fact, I'm fairly sure we have the Magueijo book somewhere. (When do I
get my ansible?)