By the way, Tegmark has a new book coming out Jan 14, I do recall.

-----Original Message-----
From: LizR <lizj...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sun, Dec 1, 2013 7:28 pm
Subject: Re: How can a grown man be an atheist ?

On 2 December 2013 12:51, Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com> wrote:

To add to my last comment, the article at
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/leibniz-modal/ mentions that Leibniz was
among those philosophers who distinguished between necessary and contingent
truths, and only granted God the power to change contingent ones. Here's a
relevant bit from the article:

Consider the way Leibniz distinguishes necessary and contingent truths in ยง13
of the Discourse on Metaphysics.

The one whose contrary implies a contradiction is absolutely necessary; this
deduction occurs in the eternal truths, for example, the truths of geometry.
The other is necessary only ex hypothesi and, so to speak, accidentally, but it
is contingent in itself, since its contrary does not imply a contradiction. And
this connection is based not purely on ideas and God's simple understanding,
but on his free decrees and on the sequence of the universe. (A VI iv 1547/AG
45)

So, what's wrong with adopting Tegmark's solution which takes our universe as a
Platonic mathematical structure, so that all truths about it are necessary ones
too? Then there would be no need for a creator God, though one might still talk
about a sort of Spinoza-esque pantheist God (especially if one also prefers
panpsychism as a solution to the metaphysical problem of the relation between
consciousness and third-person objective reality)

I am of the same opinion, that reality is probably in some sense emergent from
logically necessary truths - however, possible objections include:

The Mathematical Universe Hypothesis (MUH) doesn't make testable predictions
(Tegmark claims it does, about the gerenicity of the universe we should expect
to find ourselves in, but there have been objections that this isn't
quantifiable, etc).

Various objections by materialists - for example, they have been known to
object that there aren't resources available in the universe to "do the maths"
and similar level confusions. This tends to come down to "I don't believe it!"
(usually expressed as something like "extraordinary claims require
extraordinary evidence" etc, but that's what they mean). These need not concern
us too much, because they are basically religious objetions - they don't like
their metaphysical premises being questioned.

The MUH doesn't address the nature of consciousness. Tegmark describes
consciousness as (somethnig like) "what data feels like when it's being
processed" but this bit of hand-waving fails to explain qualia etc. Bruno will
perhaps have more to say on this.