On 18 December 2013 13:00, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/17/2013 3:40 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 18 December 2013 12:23, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>   The first step has to be to stop population growth.  That's pretty
>> much happened in all the OECD nations, except the U.S. and it would be the
>> case there too except for immigration from the south.  How to stop
>> population growth: *educate women* so they can lead meaningful lives aside
>> from bearing children and provide readily available birth control; and get
>> rid of Catholicism, Mormonism, and any other religion preaches against
>> birth control.
>>
>>  That is exactly how to stop population growth. Wherever women are given
> equal rights the birth rate drops dramatically (if they are forced to
> choose between children and a career, it drops precipitously - the places
> that get the balance right allow you to do both).
>

> I think it takes education too.  There's a high birthrate among teenage
> latina girls in CA and I think it's just because culturally motherhood is
> the only adult endeavor that's presented to them.
>
> "Equal rights" includes education, of course.

The problem with this solution is that it requires that there are other
prospects available, not just to women but to everyone. If you are a
subsistence farmer it apparently seems like a good idea to have plenty of
children to help with the farm. This would require at the very least that
the principle of fair trade be extended to the third world unilaterally.
Unfortunately apart from a few greenies like myself, not everyone is
willing or able to take the hit to their income this would entail. Hence it
looks like carrying this programme out for real would involve that we do
something about the whole capitalist ethos generally. I am precising here
due to lack of time but I hope the point is taken...  Ultimately you can
get a sustainable world by educating women and bringing the third world up
to something like a decent standard of living. Unfortunately this would
negatively impact the lifestyles of the rich, so we're probably doomed.