On 12/21/2013 1:17 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 20 Dec 2013, at 16:48, Richard Ruquist wrote:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1212.0953.pdf

  Origin of probabilities and their application to the multiverse

Andreas Albrecht <http://arxiv.org/find/gr-qc/1/au:+Albrecht_A/0/1/0/all/0/1>, Daniel Phillips <http://arxiv.org/find/gr-qc/1/au:+Phillips_D/0/1/0/all/0/1>
(Submitted on 5 Dec 2012)

    We argue using simple models that all successful practical uses of
probabilities
    originate in quantum fluctuations in the microscopic physical world around
us,
    often propagated to macroscopic scales. Thus we claim there is no physically
    verified fully classical theory of probability. We comment on the general
    implications of this view, and specifically question the application of
classical
    probability theory to cosmology in cases where key questions are known to
have no
    quantum answer.

    Richard: I cannot copy over the relevant portions of the text. They
conclude:

    "thus are very skeptical of multiverse theories that depend on classical
    probabilities for their predictive power".

     Is it a snooker? Does not MWI use quantum probabilities?
    It might be worth a read.

They assumed QM, and physicalism, which are not available options once we assume computationalism.

I think you answered to quickly, without reading the paper. Probably they do assume physicalism, but I don't think it enters into their argument; and I think their conclusions are compatible with your theories.

Brent

MWI somehow does bring back classical probability, from the quantum, making it into an ignorance about the computations which bear our actual relative state, in the comp theory.

Bruno

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ <http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/%7Emarchal/>