On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/28/2013 4:47 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>   On 12/28/2013 3:00 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>>  On 12/28/2013 4:09 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>>
>>> For a long time I got opponent saying that we cannot generate
>>> computationally a random number, and that is right, if we want generate
>>> only that numbers. but a simple counting algorithm generating all numbers,
>>> 0, 1, 2, .... 6999500235148668, ... generates all random finite
>>> incompressible strings,
>>>

>>>  How can a finite string be incompressible?  6999500235148668 in base
>>> 6999500235148669 is just 10.
>>>

>>  It took you 2 more digits to represent that number in that way.
>>

>>  But I wouldn't have if everybody knew that our numbering system was
>> base 6999500235148669.
>>

>  You should patent this and sell the compression algorithm to youtube. :-)
>

> Actually it's a commonly used one.  It's a one-time-pad; you and your
> communicant agree before hand on the basis or the pad and then you only
> have to send 10 to communicate 6999500235148668.  It's the most secure form
> of cryptography.

Agreeing on a base wouldn't enable you to send a message securely if you
are constrained to sending "10". With OTPs, you agree on the pad
beforehand, then combine the pad with the message before sending it where
it can be de-combined.  In your example there is no act of combining or
de-combining involved.

Jason