On 28 Dec 2013, at 04:56, Jason Resch wrote:

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM, Stephen Paul King <stephe...@provensecure.com > wrote:
Hi Jason,

"Any program, and whether or not it ever terminates can be translated to a statement concerning numbers in arithmetic. Thus mathematical truth captures the facts concerning whether or not any program executes forever, and what all of its intermediate states are. "

this also captures every instance of random numbers as well.

It is not clear to me what "random" means in arithmetical truth.

Randomness can appear from the perspectives of observers, but I don't see how it can arise in arithmetic.

?

It appears in all numbers written in any base. Most numbers are already random (even incompressible). I guess you know that. In the phi_i(j) in the UD, randomness can appear in the many j used as input, as we usually dovetail on the function of one variable. (but such input can easily be internalized in 0-variable programs).

For a long time I got opponent saying that we cannot generate computationally a random number, and that is right, if we want generate only that numbers. but a simple counting algorithm generating all numbers, 0, 1, 2, .... 6999500235148668, ... generates all random finite incompressible strings, and even all the infinite one (for the 1p view, notably).

In that (trivial) sense, arithmetic contains a lot of 3p randomness, even perhaps too much. Then 1p randomeness appears too, by the 1p indeterminacy (and that one is in the eyes of the machine).

Chaitin's results can also explain why we cannot filter out that 3p randomness from arithmetic.

Bruno

What method is deployed to ensure that a program is not just a "regular" random number and not some random number prefixed on a "real" halting program?

It don't see how it makes a difference.

Truth is not a measure zero set, or is it?

I don't understand this question..  Could you clarify?

Jason