In the 1970s, Uri Geller managed to persuade a load of eminent physicists
that he had psychic powers. Physicists assume that you are being honest,
because the penalties for not doing so in science are huge (namely, you
will never be taken seriously again). Geller was a defector in a world of
cooperators, in game-heory terms. He had less success with magicians, of
course, who quickly worked out what he was really doing.