On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think you will find relatively few physicists who expect that any new
>> fundamental theory like quantum gravity will fail to have these [time]
>> symmetries
>>

> If so then time's arrow, that is to say time's asymmetry, is not the
> result of the fundamental laws of physics but is a statistical effect that
> could not be otherwise due to the nature of the initial conditions and the
> fact that there are just more ways to be disorganized than organized.

But obviously if it's dependent on initial conditions then you can't derive
it from "logic" alone, since it's logically possible that the initial
conditions could have been different. And as I've said, there is also the
fact that if the laws of physics don't conserve phase space volume, the 2nd
law wouldn't hold either.

> > by far the most popular explanation for macroscopic arrows of time is
>> that it's due to the low-entropy boundary condition at the Big Bang
>>

> And I have said exactly that approximately 6.02 * 10^23 times.

OK, but you hadn't said that to *me* before--there are a lot of posts on
this list, I don't read all of them.

Jesse