On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:46 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 1/15/2014 6:46 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:33 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>  A long, rambling but often interesting discussion among guys at MIRI
>> about how to make an AI that is superintelligent but not dangerous
>> (FAI=Friendly AI).  Here's an amusing excerpt that starts at the bottom of
>> page 30:
>> *Jacob*:  Can't you ask it questions about what is believes will be true
>> about the state of the world in 20 years?
>> *Eliezer*:  Sure. You could be like, what color will the sky be in 20
>> years? It would be like, “blue”, or it’ll say “In 20 years there won't
>> be a sky, the earth will have been consumed by nano machines,” and
>> you're like, “why?” and the AI is like “Well, you know, you do that sort
>> of thing.” “Why?” And then there’s a 20 page thing.
>> *Dario*:  But once it says the earth is going to be consumed by nano
>> machines,
>> and you're asking about the AI's set of plans, presumably, you reject this
>> plan immediately and preferably change the design of your AI.
>> *Eliezer*:  The AI is like, “No, humans are going to do it.” Or the AI
>> is like, “well obviously, I'll be involved in the causal pathway but I’m
>> not planning to do it.”
>> *Dario*: But this is a plan you don't want to execute.
>> *Eliezer*:  *All* the plans seem to end up with the earth being consumed
>> by nano-machines.
>> *Luke*:  The problem is that we're trying to outsmart a
>> superintelligence and make sure that it's not tricking us somehow subtly
>> with their own language.
>> *Dario*:  But while we're just asking questions we always have the
>> ability to just shut it off.
>> *Eliezer*:  Right, but first you ask it “What happens if I shut you off”and
>> it says
>> “The earth gets consumed by nanobots in 19 years.”
>> I wonder if Bruno Marchal's theory might have something interesting to
>> say about this problem - like proving that there is no way to ensure
>> "friendliness".
>> Brent
>  I think it is silly to try and engineer something exponentially more
> intelligent than us and believe we will be able to "control it". Our only
> hope is that the correct ethical philosophy is to "treat others how they
> wish to be treated". If there are such objectively true moral conclusions
> like that, and assuming that one is true, then we have little to worry
> about, for with overwhelming probability the super-intelligent AI will
> arrive at the correct conclusion and its behavior will be guided by its
> beliefs. We cannot "program in" beliefs that are false, since if it is
> truly intelligent, it will know they are false.
> Some may doubt there are universal moral truths, but I would argue that
> there are. In the context of personal identity, if say, universalism is
> true, then "treat others how they wish to be treated" is an inevitable
> [...]

And today with our improved understanding, we look back on such acts with
shame. Do you expect that with continual advancement we will reach a state
where we become proud of such actions?

If you doubt this, then you reinforce my point. With improved
understanding, intelligence, knowledge, etc., we become less accepting of
violence and exploitation. A super-intelligent process is only a further
extension of this line of evolution in thought, and I would not expect it
to revert to a cave-man or imperialist mentality.