On 1/19/2014 9:45 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
But why should that imply *existence*.

It does not. Unless we believe in the axioms, which is the case for elementary
arithmetic.

But what does "believe in the axioms" mean. Do we really believe we can *always* add one more? I find it doubtful. It's just a good model for most countable things. So I can believe the axioms imply the theorems and that "17 is prime" is a theorem, but I don't think that commits me to any existence in the normal sense of "THAT exists".

Brent

But then we believe in the existence of prime numbers, and in the many relative computational states.