All,

Here's one more theory from the many in my book on Reality:

As Misner, Thorne and Wheeler note briefly in their book on Gravitation,
INTERgalactic space is continually expanding with the Hubble expansion,
however INTRAgalactic space is NOT expanding because it is gravitationally
bound.

Now the obvious effect of this (as I'm the first to have pointed out so far
as I know) is that space will necessarily be warped at the boundaries of
galaxies, and as is well know from GR any curvature of space produces
gravitational effects, and of course dark matter halos around the EDGES of
galaxies were invented to explain the otherwise unexplained extra
gravitational effects on the rotation of galaxies.

Thus, this simple effect of space warps around the boundaries of galaxies
caused by the Hubble expansion may be the explanation for the dark matter
effect.

It may or may not be the cause of the entire effect, but it certainly must
be having SOME effect, and over the lifetime of the universe one would
expect that warping effect to be quite large.

And there is nothing to prevent these warps, once they are created, to have
a life and movement of their own, as we now know that dark matter is not
just concentrated around galactic halos but may indicate where they used to
be....

I'd be interested to see if anyone else sees how this effect might explain
dark matter...

Edgar