On 23 January 2014 00:58, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2014, at 04:23, LizR wrote:
>
> I'm going to take a punt and assume the order in which things are ANDed
> together doesn't matter, in which case the above comes out as equal
> (equivalent). Did I blow it?
>
> Not sure that I understand what you mean by blowing it. But you are
> correct in all answers.

"Blow it" means to fail. I was worried that assuming that the order of
ANDing didn't matter would turn out to be wrong...

> Oh, it looks we are later:
>
> So we are.

> Actually, you will have to remind me what [] and <> mean before I go any
> further.
>
> (...snip...)
> OK?

Yes, so far so good.

> Now, your question, what does mean []A, for A some formula. And what does
> mean <>A

(...snip...)

> <>p is true if ~[]~p is true, if []~p is false, which means that there is
> a world in which p is true.

So <>p means p is true in at least one world.

> Unfortunately all this might not seem helpful for a formula which mix
> modal compounds with non modal compounds, like
>
> []p -> p
>
> Here, there is no more truth table available, and so you have to think.
> The Leibniz semantic (the only semantic we have defined) provides all the
> information to solve the puzzle.

I read this as "p is true in worlds implies that p is true in a particular
world" - is that right?

> You might reread my explanation for []p -> p. Which happens indeed to be a
> law in this Leibnizian setting.
>
> And the question is now: which among the following are also Leibnizian
> laws:
>
> p -> []p

No. True in this world doesn't imply true in all worlds

> []p -> [][]p

p is true in all worlds implies that it's true in all worlds that p is true
in all worlds (and so on). A law.

> []p -> <>p

Yes that follows

> p -> []<>p

Yes, it's true in all worlds that p is true in at least one world.

> <>p -> []<>p

Yes, it's true in all worlds that p is true in at least one world

> <>p -> ~[]<>p

This is getting hard to follow!
It looks as though the right hand side is "it's not true in every world
that there is a world where p is true" which - if so - is false, or not
implied by <>p

> []p & ([](p -> q)  ->.  []q    (sometimes p ->. q is more readable than (p
> -> q). The comma makes precise which is  the main connector.

Eek! (Isn't there a bracket missing?)

I think that's probably a law...if I read it right. p is true in all
worlds, and p->q in all words implies that q is true in all worlds. Or
maybe I am misreading that completely...

it's true in all words that p->q, this implies that p being true in all
worlds implies that q is true in all worlds. Which sounds like it should be
a law...?

> You can verify or guess the result by looking at each world in the little
> 8 worlds multiverse. Keep in mind that "p -> q" is false (in some world)
> only when  p is true in that world, and q false in that world. Look at the
> truth table of "p -> q".

OK, I will come back later and check the "multiverse". I have to stop for
now.