On 23 Jan 2014, at 07:39, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/22/2014 10:33 PM, LizR wrote:
On 23 January 2014 08:22, Stephen Paul King <stephe...@provensecure.com > wrote:

We need the Becoming that is implicit in the "moving flashlight", at least to give us a window of finite duration in time (and bits/space) to have a memory of "what I used to be" that can be compared to "what I experience now".

According to JA Wheeler we only need enough duration at any given instant to measure one bit. But in any case, all that is happening in your brain is happening right now. I suspect there is an illusion of an "extended present" being created, one pigeonhole at a time (let me check with Dan Dennett... yes, looks like there is :)

But why "illusion"?  If we're taking consciousness as fundamental

But comp asks to not take consciousness as fundamental or primitive.

then we should take the "extended present" as part of it; and in that case the extension allows them to overlap and hence provide a time dimension.

OK.

If we're not taking consciousness as fundamental then we need to explain the "extended present".

The relative FPI domain in UD*, or in arithmetic.