On 25 Jan 2014, at 14:15, David Nyman wrote:

On 25 January 2014 09:21, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
Maybe the difference in intuition is because she doesn't think about it in Hoyle's "universalist" way, although ISTM this is implicit in the heuristic (i.e. the "guy" is the unique and non- simultaneous "owner" of the experiences in all the pigeon holes). Without the flashlight, I think what people do is think of themselves as situated in some pigeon hole or other and then, as it were, imaginatively "select" some continuation sequence of pigeon holes from there.

Yes. But we can still believe in the "universalist view", through the amnesia and the return in the universal baby state, which then can be related to the universal consciousness of the universal person. In that sense we are right now the same person, but relatively amnesic of all particularities which distinguish us.

Yes indeed, it is the amnesia that "compartmentalises" us. But it's the "right now" that strikes me (and, I presume, struck Hoyle) as something of an an equivocation, at least in the pigeon hole analogy.

I gues that's why some people want time, if not present-time, as a primitive. I can understand the feeling, but I think that with comp it is a sort of delusion.

I realise that "right now" is an intrinsically indexical concept

Yes. It fits quite well with Galileo, Einstein and Everett sort of relativity, but with a wider scope defined notably by the arithmetical truth.

and Hoyle quite definitely means us to understand that each co- existent pigeon hole in his 3p-block concept can indeed be interpreted as its own "right now", ...

OK

... unchangingly.

That might be the word too much imo. Like a number, a computational state, even considered among the computation going through it, does not seem to me to be an object on which change can even be applied. It is out of time and space considerations. The 1p associated to it is related to computations which, from that 1p view, correspond to a dynamical scenario. But the time aspect is a construct from that (set of) number relations.

But he also sees that if he leaves it at that, he has not yet explicitly defined any principle that could suffice to break the unchanging symmetry of the co-existing block from the 1p perspective.

The problem for me was a bit of the contrary. The theaetetical definition of consciousness or knowledge explain "easily" the lack of symmetry, because you recover it through it. "Bp & p" does provides the non symmetry, and indeed even an antisymmetry making a 1p-moment irreversible. But, by UDA, we have to recover physics and its core symmetry, notably through something like "p->[]<>p", as I will explain probably in the modal thread. But how to get symmetry from non symmetry? That was the problem. Eventually, the miracle s that when we restrict the "p" on the sigma_1 p (the "computable "p"), we do extract a symmetry from the antisymmetry, with making the logic of physics collapsing into pure logic (non modal) logic.

In this bare scenario, each of us should rather expect our experience, if anything, to be permanently confined to that of a single pigeon hole "right now" -

I don't think so. "permanently" again introduces "time" where there is none. Imagine that I stop your (digital, say) brain for some period of time, you will not feel anything. The feeling of time is only brought by the dynamical aspect of the computations, which involves the steps of those computations, which are defined through atemporal number relations. I am not sure why we should expect our experience to be confined in a permanent single pigeon hole.

i.e. not momentarily, but unchangingly.

Change is intrinsically relative, I think.

And what would that be like? Not very much, it might seem.

Consequently, he explicitly posits (and purely, I insist, as a sleight of intuition) an "unobservable change" - the replacement of one pigeon hole by another in the unique context of what must be understood, unequivocally, as a single, universal "right now".

I think that this introduce a difficulty which is not present in the purely indexical approach. A present moment defines its memorized past, and potential futures. The "right now" is a particular semantical fixed point. It is probably universal, but just in the sense that all self-reflecting creature can find it by introspection.

IOW, Hoyle's contention is that each moment of consciousness can be intuited as the singularised state of a universal solipsist whose successive re-combinations of remembering and forgetting suffice to break the panoptic symmetry.

I think that is correct, and indeed an indirect consequence of incompleteness for logic of the first person. The "Bp & p" defines the "solipsist" or the universal first person, and the breaking of the symmetry.

At the least, it seems possible that our experience (i.e. from the "inside") is not inconsistent with this intuition.

Indeed. It is even necessary.

It occurred to me, in passing, that this idea of unobservable but consequential change has some analogy (but no more than that) with the way our vision fixates successive points via "saccades" which are themselves unobserved. Despite the unobservability of any transition between visual fixations, we can hardly consistently believe that our gaze is merely confined to any one of them.

The peculiar consequence of such an intuition is that, from the perspective of David's typing these very words, Julius Caesar is no more the owner of an experience "right now" than David continues to be the owner of the experience of a moment ago. The only experience that obtains "right now" is what "I" happen to be aware of, as a proxy for the universal solipsist to whom both "I" and "right now" are uniquely applicable. In this way, according to Hoyle, every moment of relative experience is lived out, in mutual exclusion,

OK

in due course and in due measure.

But this I don't understand. Due course relatively to what?

I suppose, at least, we are asked to see that this multi-solipsistic intuition is no more open to experiential refutation than the mini- solipsism that is the butt of so many philosophical jokes ("Why are there so few of us solipsists?"). After all, from the perspective of the singular intersection of a universal "right now" with some element of a 3p-block, we should indeed expect to be confronted, in effect, with a "zombie world" devoid of directly-observable consciousness:

Yes, and that is the case from the 1p perspective. We live this, despite it is highly plausibly false. There are other person, and Everett confirms the existence of the 1p-plural expected by computationalists.

and that is indeed consistent with (and the persistent puzzle of) our experience. But do we, in truth, live out every possible moment, "one at a time", in due course and in due measure? Well, somebody, on our behalf, does precisely this, do they not?

But why this second "one at a time"? Why not the single "one at a time" easily explained in computer science? My desk computer can access only the memory of its hard disk, not the hard disk of somepne else computer.

However, after our many discussions, I suspect that Hoyle's universalist intuition (no doubt unsurprisingly) must be modified in the computationalist view and I think I am gradually starting to appreciate more and more what the differences may be. In fact I've been giving the matter a lot of thought recently. But that is meat for another conversation.

Nice.
I often say that consciousness is not 100% explainable with comp.
Despite I really do not understand the need and the benefits of the 'flaslight" intuition, I have often the feeling that you are navigating around what indeed will (and has to) remain quite mysterious with the comp hypothesis. But I would not say it is a "right now" feeling, as this is explained by the indexical logics we get from incompleteness. it is more in the consciousness per se of that feeling.

In answer to your queries about Hoyle, I've no idea whether he met or knew about Everett, but he certainly considered the multiverse idea. Consider the following excerpt from "October the First is Too Late" (1965):

"There could even be completely different universes. Go back to my decaying nucleus. Hook up a bomb which explodes according to whether you have decay of a nucleus or not. Make the bomb so big that it becomes a doomsday machine. Let it be capable - if exploded - of wiping out all life on the Earth. Let the whole thing go for a critical few seconds, you remember we were considering whether a nucleus would decay in a particular ten seconds? Do we all survive or don't we?

My guess is that inevitably we appear to survive, because there is a division, the world divides into two, into two completely disparate stacks of pigeon holes. In one, a nucleus undergoes decay, explodes the bomb, and wipes us out. But the pigeon holes in that case never contain anything further about life on the Earth. So although those pigeon holes might be activated, there could never be any awareness that an explosion had taken place. In the other block, the Earth would be safe, our lives would continue - to put it in the usual phrase. Whenever the spotlight of consciousness hit those pigeon holes we should be aware of the Earth and we should decide the bomb had not exploded."

Below is a link to some more quotes from the book. By the way I notice on re-reading that Hoyle has his protagonist hedge his bets somewhat on the possible significance of the "flashlight", but hey, it's fiction and science fiction at that! I hope Hoyle would have forgiven me for plagiarising and manipulating his idea for my own nefarious purposes!

http://empslocal.ex.ac.uk/people/staff/mrwatkin/hoyle.htm

OK. That's Everett understanding of QM, or just QM 'taken literally", which I think we must do in science, if only to find out more quickly the discrepancies with the observation. It might be science-fiction, it is actually good science in disguise.