On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

> Jesse,
>
> OK, I'm back...
>
> Let me back up a minute and ask you a couple of general questions with
> respect to establishing which past clock times of different observers were
> simultaneous in p-time....
>
> The only clocks in this example are the real actual ages of two twins....
>

> 1. Do you agree that each twin always has a real actual age defined as how
> old he actually is (to himself)?
>
> Yes or no?

Yes, in the sense that at each point on his worldline he has an "actual
age" at that point, which is just the proper time between his birth and
that point. But if you're suggesting a unique "true" actual age, as opposed
to just each point having its own actual age, then I would have to change
my answer to no.

> 2. Do you agree that this real actual age corresponds by definition to the
> moment of his actually being alive, to his actual current point in time?
> (As a block universe believer you can just take this as perception or
> perspective rather than actuality if you wish - it won't affect the
> discussion).
>

> Yes or no?

If by "perspective" you mean that each point on his worldline takes his
experiences at that point (including his age) to be the "current point in
time", then yes.

> Now assume a relativistic trip that separates the twins....
>
> 3. Do you agree that IF, for every point of the trip, we can always
> determine what ACTUAL age of one twin corresponds to the ACTUAL age of the
> other twin, and always in a way that both twins AGREE upon (that is frame
> independent), that those 1:1 correspondences in actual ages, whatever they
> are, must occur at the same actual times? That this would give us a method
> to determine what (possibly different) actual ages occur at the same actual
> p-time moment in which the twins are actually alive with those (possibly
> different) actual ages?
>
> Yes or no?

IF we had a method to determine a unique 1:1 correspondence in ages for
separated twins, then yes, that could reasonably be interpreted as a
demonstration of absolute simultaneity, telling us which ages "occur at the
same actual times". But I don't believe you can find any such method for
determining a unique frame-independent 1:1 correspondence in relativity.

Since I am answering your questions, are you willing to answer mine? In the
post that you are responding to I requested that you respond to my
questions at
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/jFX-wTm_E_Q/xtjSyxxi4awJ ,
especially the part at the end about the meaning of "same point in
spacetime" (i.e. whether two events happening at the same space and time
coordinates in a single coordinate system automatically implies that they
satisfy the operational definitions of "same point in spacetime" I had
given, and whether you'd agree that this means they must have happened at
the same moment in p-time). You ignored that request in your response. I'll
even narrow it down to a single question I asked in that post:

'If we have some coordinate system where relativity predicts the event of
Alice's clock reading 30 happens at exactly the same space and time
coordinates as the event of Bob's clock reading 40, do you agree or
disagree that this means relativity automatically predicts these two events
would satisfy the various operational meanings of "same point in spacetime"
I gave at
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/jFX-wTm_E_Q/AZOhnG04__AJ ,
regardless of whether Alice and Bob had synchronized their clocks in the
past or not? Please give me a clear agree/disagree answer to this question'

For example, say that in some particular coordinate system Alice's
coordinate position x as a function of coordinate time t is x(t)=80, i.e.
she is at rest at position coordinate x=80, and her age T (proper time
since birth) as a function of coordinate time t is T(t)=t+10. Meanwhile
Bob's coordinate position as a function of coordinate time is
x(t)=68+(0.6c)*t, i.e. at t=0 he is at x=68 and he is moving in the
positive x-direction at 0.6c, and his age T' as a function of coordinate
time t is T'(t)=24+0.8*t. Then at t=20 in this coordinate system, they will
both be at position x=80, and Alice's age will be T=20+10=30 while Bob's
will be T'=24+0.8*20=24+16=40. So the question above is asking whether, in
an example like this one, you'd agree that their reaching these ages at the
same space and time coordinates implies they must actually meet at the
"same point in spacetime" when Alice is 30 and Bob is 40, according to the
operational definitions I gave earlier (like the one involving bouncing
light signals back and forth and noting when the time for them to bounce
back approaches zero).

Jesse