On 24 February 2014 01:04, chris peck <chris_peck...@hotmail.com> wrote:

*>>This is the same as saying that I will experience all possible futures
> in the MWI - but by the time I experience them, of course, the version of
> me in each branch will be different, and it always seems to me,
> retrospectively, as though I only experienced one outcome.*
>
> Each duplicate will only experience one outcome. I don't think there is
> any disagreement about that. The problems occur when considering what the
> person duplicated will experience and then what probability he should
> assign to each outcome and that seems to me to depend on what identity
> criterion gets imposed. Its a consideration I've gone into at length and
> won't bore you with again. But I will say that where you think that what
> Bruno wants is just recognition that each duplicate sees one outcome, I
> think that he actually wants to show that 3p and 1p probability assignments
> would be asymmetric from the stand point of the person duplicated.
> Certainly for me he doesn't manage that.

Correct me if I'm misremembering Chris, but I seem to recall proposing to
you on a previous occasion that Hoyle's pigeon hole analogy can be a useful
way of tuning intuitions about puzzles of this sort, although I appear to
be the sole fan of the idea around here. Hoyle's idea is essentially a
heuristic for collapsing the notions of identity, history and continuation
onto the perspective of a single, universal observer. From this
perspective, the situation of being faced with duplication is just a random
selection from the class of all possible observer moments. The situations
of having been duplicated one or more times are then just non-simultaneous
selections from the same class. This gives us a consistent way of
considering the 3p and 1p (or bird and frog) probabilities symmetrically.
That is, it is now certain that I will confront each and every 3p
continuation from a unique 1p perspective, just not simultaneously.

That said, this approach retains a quasi-frequency interpretation of
probability in the case that there are fungible or equivalent
continuations. For example, if the protocol mandates that I will be
duplicated 100 times and 99 of my copies will be sent to a red room and one
to a blue room, it would be rational to anticipate a higher "probability"
of continuation associated with the larger class, even though each
continuation is individually certain in a different underlying sense. This
is just to say that subjective uncertainty (or the expectation of
probabilistic outcomes) is a function of incomplete knowledge at any given
point in the sequence.

I know that Bruno quarrels with Hoyle's idea as being superfluous to, or
possibly even incompatible with, comp but personally I still find it a neat
heuristic for pumping one's intuition on the indeterminacy of
first-personal expectations.

David