I came upon an interesting passage in "Our Mathematical Universe", starting
on page 194, which I think members of this list might appreciate:

"It gradually hit me that this illusion of randomness business really
wasn't specific to quantum mechanics at all. Suppose that some future
technology allows you to be cloned while you're sleeping, and that your two
copies are placed in rooms numbered 0 and 1 (Figure 8.3). When they wake
up, they'll both feel that the room number they read is completely
unpredictable and random. If in the future, it becomes possible for you to
upload your mind to a computer, then what I'm saying here will feel totally
obvious and intuitive to you, since cloning yourself will be as easy as
making a copy of your software. If you repeated the cloning experiment from
Figure 8.3 many times and wrote down your room number each time, you'd in
almost all cases find that the sequence of zeros and ones you'd written
looked random, with zeros occurring about 50% of the time. In other words,
causal physics will produce the illusion of randomness from your subjective
viewpoint in any circumstance where you're being cloned. The fundamental
reason that quantum mechanics appears random even though the wave function
evolves deterministically is that the Schrodinger equation can evolve a
wavefunction with a single you into one with clones of you in parallel
universes. So how does it feel when you get cloned? It feels random! And
every time something fundamentally random appears to happen to you, which
couldn't have been predicted even in principle, it's a sign that you've
been cloned."

Jason