On 19 March 2014 12:52, Hal Ruhl <halr...@alum.syracuse.edu> wrote:

> To answer your question I think the narrowest characterization of the type
> of life I talk about is that it is one of the possible processes within a
> universe that if implemented increase the entropy of that universe.
> Further all such processes will be implemented in any universe in which
> they are possible.  Since entropy has a fixed maximum in a closed system (a
> universe) then life must enable its own extinction.

I'm told (mainly by PCW Davies iirc) that the maximum entropy in an
expanding universe increases indefinitely. This is how a big bang fireball
that was more or less at thermodynamic equilibrium could turn into a
universe full of dissipative systems.

This may not however prevent life from enabling its own extinction (at
least in the very, very, very long run) - although I'd say at the present
epoch it is mainly stars that are enabling its extinction. (Along with its
existence, too, of course.)