On 3/31/2014 6:00 PM, LizR wrote:
On 1 April 2014 06:04, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
<mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    The price is not having a unified 'self' - which many people would consider
a big
    price since all observation and record keeping which is used to empirically
test
    theories assumes this unity.  If you observe X and you want to use that as
empircal
    test of a theory it isn't helpful if your theory of the instruments says
they also
    recorded not-X.

(I suspect some people would consider it a big price not to have a unified self for other reasons, too!)

I can't see how it's worse for your theory to say that your instruments "will record X and not X" as opposed to saying they "will record X or not X, but we don't know which".

That's before the fact. I didn't write "will". MWI is a theory that says when you read your instrument and it says X, it's only one of an infinite set some of which say X and some say not-X.

The former explanation says there will be apparent but explicable randomness, the latter says there will be intrinsic and inexplicable randomness.

But is it explicable. Bruno is careful to refer to "uncertainty" or "indeterminancy". Those are not necessarily probabilities unless they can be quantified to satisfy Kolomogorov's axioms - and it's not clear to me that they can. The axioms require that the set of "everything" have measure 1. But in this case "everything" is ill defined and uncountably infinite. In common applications of QM one assumes isolation and considers only a small (at least finite) set of possible results - which works FAPP.