On 07 Apr 2014, at 22:01, Craig Weinberg wrote:

Another part 2

On Sunday, April 6, 2014 1:13:09 PM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 05 Apr 2014, at 19:09, Craig Weinberg wrote:

I keep explaining that arithmetic seen from inside escapes somehow the mathematics accessible to the machine.

No need to keep explaining, I understood from the beginning. I'm suggesting that the 'somehow' is due to the machine actually being a reduced set of qualia. Arithmetic is a machine run by sense.

No problem with such suggestion, but a suggestion is not a refutation.

A refutation may not be possible because comp is too autistic. It refuses to accept any arguments that are not defined in purely logical terms. Insensitivity defines sensitivity in a trivial way.

False. It accepts any valid argument. You did not present one.

You're just affirming what I said. Why do you assume that the truth must be a valid argument?

Truth is not a valid argument. It is not an argument to begin with. It is a valuation of a statement. A semantics.

It doesn't have to be a statement. Truth is a quality of congruence across sensory experiences.

For the 1p. Of course, by denying any independent 3p, you just deny that science has any ability to handle such question, but comp, even if wrong, provides the counter-example. You deny it from your theory, but that is trivial and beg the question.

Some truths are experiential and aesthetic.

You confuse p and []p & p.

No, I deny "& p" altogether.

Then you can prove that 0=1. The " & p" has to be added, the machines already "know" this.

They appear before logic and cognition.

At which level, in what sense of "before"? I need a theory to make sense of such terms.

In the sense of there being a possibility of sense without logic but not logic without sense.

In your theory. That begs the question. You can't use your theory in this discussion.

You just tell us that you know that, but that is not an argument.

I don't say I know it, I say that it makes more sense.

That is a progress. It makes more sense to machine too. But "more sense" is not an argument, especially in this context.

More sense is better than an argument. Arguments are limited to logic.

Logic is applied in argument, about anything. Again, if you need to be illogical as this point, you make my point.

How do you know that a machine that can't feel (like a voice mail machine) knows that it can't feel?

I know nothing (publicly communicable). I just tell you what I assume, and what I derive from the assumption.

But I thought you were saying that you have an argument showing that step 0 (comp) is invalid at the start.

Comp is invalid at the start because it loses nothing when we assume that all function can be reduced to logic and hidden logic. Computation works as a map of maps, and need have no territory that is presented aesthetically, either theoretically or empirically. The jump from map to territory is reverse engineered from the very expectations of our own awareness, making comp more likely to be a figment of circular reasoning.

Confusion between []~comp and ~[]comp. It would be circular if I was defending the truth of comp, but I am just showing that your argument beg the question.

Why would a more sophisticated machine be any different in that regard?

A voice mail machine does not seem to implement a universal machine believing in some induction principles, like PA, ZF.

We don't know that the voice mail machine lacks PA and ZF induction principles,

This is ridiculous.

any more that I know that machines can't be zombies. Even if that were true though, I see no reason to presume that the extra functionality added through PA or ZF need result in any aesthetic phenomena flying around.

The point is that you argue for the contrary, but don't present an argument independent of your non-comp assumption, making it circular.