On Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:56:55 AM UTC+1, Liz R wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> This situation appears in need of "urgent" explanation because the
>>> apparent smallness of the particles in relation to the size of the
>>> equipment suggests that a single electron or photon can't possibly "know"
>>> about (be influenced by) a slit which it doesn't pass through, and which
>>> is, relatively speaking, a large distance away. Assuming a photon passes
>>> through the left hand slit, say, there is no known physical mechanism
>>> available to tell it about the existence of the right hand slit. Yet it
>>> will hit the screen in a position that is (statistically) determined by
>>> what looks like interference between waves passing through both slits.
>>> Hence the paradox.
>>>

>>  I'd agree that's a component but why is that on its own a more urgent
>> problem than the action at a distance problems with Newton's force when
>> gravity? Or all those contradictions that accumulated in the late 19th
>> century, that people felt were pretty incomprehensible and shocking, yet no
>> one at any time started talking about the need for an 'interpretation' that
>> made it all feel explained at any price? How come everyone was willing to
>> leave all those problems wide open for up to hundreds of years, until not
>> just an interpretation and explanation but scientific next generation
>> theory, complete with all the traits science the way they knew and loved
>> were explicit and visible. They had worse problems than this electron? On
>> there own terms, as the knowledge they had, that was important to them,
>> that was being upended by the contradictions that they faced. Was it worse
>> for them, or where they just willing to live with it, because they knew
>> they just had not accumulated enough knowledge yet to begin to answer the
>> questions?
>>

> I'm not sure who you're arguing with here, if anyone. All I said was that
> the collapse of the wave function hasn't been directly observed. I guess
> you've agreed with that comment, if you want to move on to something else.
>
> So, after that you moved on to what was the problem with the two slit
> experiment. OK, so I've explained that, and since you've moved on from
> that, I must assume you understood and agreed with the explanation.
>
> So what are you moving on to now? Why it was considered an urgent problem?
> You mean as opposed to why everything else in science is considered an
> urgent problem (phlogiston, planetary orbits, what the stars are, whether
> the luminiferous aether exists, what happens to Maxwell's equations when
> you travel at the speed of light, why the perihelion of Mercury advances,
> how entropy can increase from time-symmetric molecular collisions, whether
> the universe is expanding, what happens when an object collapses under its
> own gravity, whether atoms exist...) Well, the short answer is that it
> wasn't. Scientists worry about all sorts of problems, some have even been
> burned at the stake for trying to solve them.

Liz - you would haver to be willing to identify a basic model of her w MWI
came to ,.,.,as well as a large number of other properties, such mwi
itself. You need to hace something like this in order to meaningfully
undertake a process of deliberation whether and how MWI fits into
scientific history.

What you say above wouold be fine as a summary, but you seem to want to
pass that for a way that everything is always urgent or whatever. You must
see it's totally meaningless as a point like that?

If you want to address the matter you've have to entify at least a few
common propertties of theories, timelines, historirs......also of mwi too.

Otherwise all you are going to be able to say in history model is words to
the effect "Evertything is always the same". Urgent...it was always urgent!
Just empty statements.

Sorry liz...no intention to be harsh.

>> The Interpretation Movement, was pretty unprecedented in that sense.
>>

> It wasn't. Read up on the history of science and you will find plenty of
> people worrying about stuff they couldn't explain. That is largely what
> drives science, after all.

History of science is  major long point of focus for me. If you believe
there are parallels then please present one (make it from the major
arterial threads of discovery). Please do, and we'll discuss it.

It's up to you if you want to define all of science as an interpretation
movement or identify yourself with a philosophy that s how science
turns. All I m saying is that statements about unifirormity, everything the
same, say absolulutely nothing of value.

>> That an explanation,....a way to make sense of....was raised over
>> everything else, including whether and what extent that explanation
>> inherited any of the traits moHst fundamental, most unique, to science and
>> science only. MWI hasn't got one. Not one. Or name one, and explain why
>> it's fundamental to science, and unique to science and only science.
>>

> As I understand it, the "QM interpretation movement" stalled for about 30
> years before the MWI came along. Everyone more or less agreed to "shut up
> and calculate" but a lot of people were vaguely dissatisfied with the
> situation (including Einstein).on

The truth is there a lot f misrepresenting all round in the various
interpretation camp0s. In my view, givren no one had a good idea, shut up
nf calculate was the least harmful approches

The mwi people have created stereotypica, ideas about what was meant by
shut up and calculate.ough
 how long  long ius kong enough,.

And right Liz, you have your contradiction with the interpretation
movement. I'm saying science waits snd never hurries the pace. My assertion
makes predicftions that we can check.

So on my reading, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the idea of shut
uo and calculate, so long as it reflects a real dearth of ideas how to
procreedf.  That is the way it's always been.

The problem are  ideas under pinninhg interpretations, You will not find
that in scientific history...exceopt up failed cul de sacs.

Prove me wrong. But please don't try to that by simple not setting anything
up such that it is comparable. Or 'everythings is the same".

You are saying
What was implicit in that statement, was no one had good ideas for how push
ahead.
to what pacer things go
Liz...science has always waited during periods like that, for the big
ideas. Science waits. Hundreds of years if necessary. And science is
willing to go aazingly slow. Science has never attached any priority
nd
And that'