On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 2:48 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 4/28/2014 3:32 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 10:48 PM, <ghib...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>  You say that everything will be normal, we'll be human with arms and
>>> legs, then you say something highly psychedelic :)

>>>  Sure, "virtual" is like "natural", I'm not sure it means anything.

>>>  Doesn't this problem already arise without salvia? I remember having
>>> this type of doubt as a kid, along with are doubts like "Is stuff
>>> conscious?". Adults told me that these hypothesis were absurd. Adults still
>>> tell me that, but I'm less and less convinced...
>>>

>> telmo, would it be ok to clarify the relation t matter you don't see for
>> consciousness? Do you mean you don't see as true he hypothesis that matter
>> is conscious ? Or you don't see that the physical bring produces
>> consciousness?
>>

>  I mean the hypothesis that the physical brain produces consciousness.
> I'm not saying it's false, I'm just saying that there is not reason to give
> more credence to this hypothesis than others: for example, that mater is a
> byproduct of consciousness.
>
>  For all the stuff that is covered by the current scientific paradigm, we
> either have understanding or a glimpse of understanding. For example: we
> don't know how the brain stores memories, but we understand enough basic
> principles that it is possible to imagine a progression from our current
> level of understanding to full understanding. We know about neurons, how
> they connect in a complex network to create an asynchronous computer and so
> on. This initial knowledge already leads to technology, like face
> recognition. But with consciousness, we don't even have a glimpse of
> understanding. There's no gradient of complexity to climb. We don't even
> know where to start.
>
>  So I propose that the current mainstream scientific belief that the
> brain produces consciousness is mysticism.
>

> Is the effect on consciousness of matter, e.g. drugs, brain trauma, mere
> mysticism?

No, of course not. Nor is it neuroscience mysticism -- although it feels a
bit like they are trying to reverse engineer a computer by measuring the
electromagnetic fields around the CPU. But I understand, they do what they
can with the technology they have. Eventually, I think that understanding
the brain is computer science problem.

But I digress. All this activity, including the effects of drugs and brain
trauma on behaviour, would be equally predicted by modern science if we
were unconscious zombies. So why are we conscious? How does the
first-person experience arise? It is saying that we have even the beginning
of an explanation for that in the context of modern neuroscience that I
call mysticism. Many people believe we do, and this is where dogma starts
to creep in -- believing we are less ignorant than we really are.

Telmo.