What about the waste tails he alludes to. I had not known that they had
actually constructed and tested U233 bombs - had always thought it was a
hypothetical problem rather than an actual and supposedly - according to
this article - a tested device. His point also that U233 does not need an
implosion makes it a technically much simpler conventional bomb to build; no
need for precisely timed shaped charges etc.

These are valid criticisms that are very much not administrative nature but
cut right to the core [pun intended] of a world in which a multitude of
thorium U233 breeder reactors proliferate widely. There is a risk that this
unintentionally leads to a proliferation of U233 (which can be relatively
easily be chemically separated out from the thorium fluoride salt mix and
purified into U233 metal)

Furthermore based on the track records of the US, the former USSR, and the
other declared and undeclared nuclear powers I am not nearly as sanguine as
some about the actual outcomes for the long term sequestration of both the
medium term and long term waste products. It is a real and valid concern
that any proponent of such a system needs to be able to have a story for
that is not based upon hypotheticals and fuzzy math (and dumping the problem
onto the commons).

Can it be shown that LFTR facilities could be largely self-contained well
secured units, including within their compounds all the necessary
re-processing support facilities etc. Can an LFTR system burn through the
vast majority of the by-products until transmuted into stable end chain
element isotopes.

Thorium itself is pretty easy to come by and is not especially dangerous -
chemically. Seems about like most heavy metals and so could pretty easily be
mined, refined and transported. No issues with it until it becomes mixed in
with U233.

LFTR does seem to present a pretty safe operational design, from those I
have seen, LFTR reactors can have simple passive failsafe designs that can
make the reactor go into cold shutdown if something goes terribly wrong. All
the operators could abandon their post and walk away and it would still fail
safely. As simple as having a lower melting point plug on the reactor vessel
bottom that will fail allowing the hot molten thorium/U233/flouride salt to
flow out into a dispersed catchment chamber designed to hold it until it
cools. I support looking into it; into a program to build a full scale pilot
system - hopefully a self-enclosed loop system that slowly breeds its way
through the feedstock. I have even dreamed of it in a science fiction
context as the power source for distant outposts too far out for solar
power; just saying I am even somewhat of an LFTR fan J

But on the other hand to pretend that these criticisms are not valid is not
going to make them go away. U233 is bomb grade stuff (admittedly very hard
to handle, but dictators, criminal syndicates and fanatics care little about
human life. The loss of a few CFUs  or cannon fodder units to purify or
transport the material is a loss I am certain they are willing to pay.)
Though it is deadly to handle (for the handlers at least) it is also
technically far easier to purify out from the thorium fluoride salt mix in
which it is contained and once purified to a metal, much less difficult to
turn into an effective device than the prevailing enriched uranium or
plutonium devices. That qualifies as a pretty serious problem to me. Again
not trying to be argumentative or start a flame war. As I said I am
interested in LFTR, more so than most people are.

My suggestion would be to go for a template of large scale sprawling
self-contained facilities, with multiple passive failsafe design LFTR
reactors coupled with the re-processing and other necessary support and
short term waste sequestration facilities. Keeping the number of facilities
that would need to be kept secured relatively small in number. A highly
redundant and carefully audited accounting of all U233 throughout the chain
should be maintained so that these stocks are safeguarded and the U233 never
leaves these facilities.

That would be my first proposal right off the bat.

How do you think the issues raised can be addressed? Or if you feel these
are not valid issues then could you explain your reasoning for feeling this
way.

Chris