On 12 June 2014 08:22, <ghib...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, June 9, 2014 10:32:02 PM UTC+1, Liz R wrote:
>>
>> The TT has been so watered down that it doesn't prove anything except
>> that a glorified version of ELIZA can fool some of the people some of the
>> time.
>>

> If the TT has been watered down, then the first question for me would be
> "doesn't this logically pre-assume a set of explicit standards existed in
> the first place"?
>
> Yes it does. I may be wrong, but my impression has always been that Turing
imagined a computer able to imitate a "generalised" human being, not one
with some very narrow and specific limitations (e.g. an autistic chess
master).

But when I asked my computer if it could manage that, it said "I'm afraid I
can't do that, Liz."

Also it refuses to open the front door, so I'm stuck in the garage.