On 14 Jun 2014, at 03:49, LizR wrote:

On 13 June 2014 20:44, Pierz <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes. But I have to wonder what we're doing wrong, because any sophisticated piece of modern software such as a modern OS or even this humble mailing list/forum software we are using is already "hugely mind-bogglingly incremental". It has evolved over decades of incremental improvement involving thousands upon thousands of workers building up layers of increasing abstraction from the unfriendly silicon goings-on down below. And yet Siri, far from being a virtual Scarlett Johannson, is still pretty much dumb as dog- shit (though she has some neat bits of crystallised intelligence built in. Inspired by "She" I asked her what she was wearing, and she said, "I can't tell you but it doesn't come off."). Well, I'm still agnostic on "comp", so I don't have to decide whether this conspicuous failure represents evidence against computationalism. I do however consider the bullish predictions of the likes of Deutsch (and even our own dear Bruno) that we shall be uploading our brains or something by the end of the century or sooner to be deluded. Deutsch wrote once (BoI?) that the computational power required for human intelligence is already present in a modern laptop; we just haven't had the programming breakthrough yet. I think that is preposterous and can hardly credit he actually believes it.

This looks like a more realistic estimate...

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/163051-simulating-1-second-of-human-brain-activity-takes-82944-processors

Making abstraction of the glial cells, and with some high neuronal description level.

We might survive with such artificial brain, but we might get problem after month or years.

Bruno

PD I have to go. More comment tomorrow probably.