> On 15 Jun 2014, at 9:03 am, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> Yeah, I remember Edward de Bono.  I read what I think was his first book,
> which was all about thinking "outside the box" as the current phrase goes.
> It was good advice.
>
> Brent

Yes. And the implications for the TT are there to be seen. What makes up the
best in human thinking is the ability to conjur something out of nothing on the
spot. Creativity, in other words. Thinking outside the box means something very
profound. It means we have organised our perception around all these
Aristotelian boxes and they all have labels on them. The natural behaviour of
the human mind is to seek that box into which something or other should placed
or filed. Then the lid is slammed shut and the label slapped on. A thing is
either in the box or out of the box. A thing can never be halfway in and
halfway out. a thing can never be in two boxes at once. Everett is now spinning
in his grave. Our thinking system is predicated on the fable that only one
version of something can ever exist. You either accept something or you reject
something. You either agree with me or you disagree with me. De Bono called
this "old-fashioned intellectualism" or "Rock logic" where there is only
dialectic opposition of ideas with some truly vain hope of the ultimate
synthesis of the thesis and the antithesis. Nobody ever wrote a good book about
how this was ever supposed to come about. He then made a plea for what he
called "Water logic" where the idea is to go with the flow and to not worry
about the obstacles in the stream but to do as water does and to flow around
things. The biggest obstacle to the success of all human endeavours is this
thing called "human nature." That's a very difficult rock to remove from the
river. Intelligence is then about knowing when to call off the attack and to
keep your mouth shut. You can tell when people are arguing from their deep
emotional insecurities about themselves and blathering all over the place with
fine phrases and many words. They aren't talking about the topic at all; they
are justifying their need for others to reassure them that it's OK to be part
of the playgroup. There is also the famous "Intelligence Trap." This is the
observation that some highly intelligent people with 8 stroke motors between
their ears can easily be duped or misled by simple con tricks for the basic
reason that they have a deep need to be seen tfo be right about anything and
everything, therefore if they cannot see what is going on inside of 5 seconds
they start to get uppity. Some things take longer than 5 seconds to work
through, let's face it. Comp has kept me on my toes since 1998 and I don't
think I am all that stoopid. If you have a high IQ you have probably been told
by your mommy and your daddy and your schoolteacher that you are an
"accelerant" or some such bullshit, so you expect to race through everything
and always win for the least expenditure of time and energy. Such people then
marry the first partner that seems to fit the bill and end up in messy divorces
and get fleeced. Humans will make a judgement about something in a nanosecond -
this being the default behaviour of our argument-based adversarial thinking
style. Either I will eat or I will be eaten. This then translates into things
like "democracy" which is basically an excuse for yet more tribal behaviour.

Real thinking involves all four wheels of the car on the ground. An argument
style of thinking only has three wheels on the ground. The missing fourth wheel
is generic, possibility-based thinking that turns away from agreement and
disagreement. The idea should be the need to explore the terrain of ideas
rather than to seek the chink or the flaw in each other's armour. Exploring a
terrain of ideas such as we do here routinely is best done when we neither
agree nor disagree with each other but turn and face in the same direction and
simply report to each other on what we "see just up ahead." This way we advance
as a group and do not dissolve into sectarian, tribal "I am right, you are
wrong" adversarial squabbles. In the rare moments where humans do this, we are
truly persons; possibly the self-referentially correct Löbian entities of comp.

Sorry - this post was too long.

Kim