On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com>
wrote:

> In terms of ideological nutjobs, I suspect that the solution is
> counter-intuitive. Instead of fighting them, perhaps it's better to not
> react to them at all. Treat a skinhead like a perfectly normal person and
> the skinhead is destroyed. The feeling of persecution is exploited in
> recruiting people to these organisations.

This I have been barking at for years. The same way we don't point the
camera at some flasher at sporting event or World Cup and don't put them up
on big screen. I find the extra attention that savage, ideological acts of
violence receive totally counterproductive. They should face trial like any
mass murderers and the propaganda thirst of the west has to be quenched
elsewhere.

Elevating obscure groups/individuals to global publicity status for this is
idiotic, inspires misguided followers, empowers right wing hawk types and
the interests they represent everywhere: extremist, weapons industry and
its black market, both right and left political side, prohibition
tendencies, and abuse of authoritative argument all benefit from this
mutually beneficial publicity system.

>> if we can only keep ourselves secure by agreeing to do each others' dirty
>> laundry, bypassing other sovereign nations' laws, so they may bypass our
>> own, then I don't see why this isn't perceived as dangerous and cynical;
>> and because of legal complexity times digital age, even counterproductive
>> to security on all levels of democratic model (multiplying hacker warfare
>> etc).
>>

> I think the illusion that has to be broken is very much related to
> patriotism.

Culture not only as the bringer of progress, but also collective jailor.
But as long as we get to watch drama of some ball being kicked around, who
cares? Tomorrow Germany plays US to prove that they're good at kicking a
ball around; if they can't safeguard their democracy from getting legal
system undermined and US intimidation, then at least they get to penetrate
a fishing net with a spherical piece of cow skin, or its space age
replacement nowadays, I guess...

> Merkel, Obama, Hollande, etc. have more allegiance to each other than to
> their citizens. It's naive to assume that Merkel is German of Obama is
> American. They are world leaders and belong to the cast of the world
> leaders. They feed on patriotism to act against their people. In a
> globalised western world, patriotism is the old strategy of "divide and
> conquer".
>

>>> I can't resist sharing what my favourite comedian (American, btw) has to
>>> say about nationalism and hating immigrants:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsPDT5qHtZ4
>>>

>> He has an indoor smoking permit?
>>

> In many places, smoking on stage is allowed if part of an artistic
> performance.

I know. I need more clout in local bars. People have done all kinds of
disgusting things on stage, like cut themselves and what not... my
inability to do so (uhm smoke, not cut...) reflects my bad/needy/overly
polite PR strategy. You've got to have some things to look forward to in
life, I suppose. To infinitely higher standards and beyond, lol. ;-) PGC