On 25 Jun 2014, at 15:47, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

In terms of ideological nutjobs, I suspect that the solution is counter-intuitive. Instead of fighting them, perhaps it's better to not react to them at all. Treat a skinhead like a perfectly normal person and the skinhead is destroyed. The feeling of persecution is exploited in recruiting people to these organisations.

This I have been barking at for years. The same way we don't point the camera at some flasher at sporting event or World Cup and don't put them up on big screen. I find the extra attention that savage, ideological acts of violence receive totally counterproductive. They should face trial like any mass murderers and the propaganda thirst of the west has to be quenched elsewhere.

Elevating obscure groups/individuals to global publicity status for this is idiotic, inspires misguided followers, empowers right wing hawk types and the interests they represent everywhere: extremist, weapons industry and its black market, both right and left political side, prohibition tendencies, and abuse of authoritative argument all benefit from this mutually beneficial publicity system.

I agree a lot with you and Telmo. Especially for terrorists. An expert on terrorism (a cousin of mine) told me that to fight terrorism, the key is discretion, and that the media should put the terrorist news in the "fait divers" (local incidental news).

The expression "war on terror" is already suspicious in that regard. Terrorists can only applaud. What an advertizing on their cause and methods.

if we can only keep ourselves secure by agreeing to do each others' dirty laundry, bypassing other sovereign nations' laws, so they may bypass our own, then I don't see why this isn't perceived as dangerous and cynical; and because of legal complexity times digital age, even counterproductive to security on all levels of democratic model (multiplying hacker warfare etc).

I think the illusion that has to be broken is very much related to patriotism.

Culture not only as the bringer of progress, but also collective jailor. But as long as we get to watch drama of some ball being kicked around, who cares?

Patriotism is even good. It can protect you from nazis sometime. But the fact that humans needs to belong to some group to forge his identity can be a problem for the fundamental inquiry, and very often, a problem for the overall political sanity.

Soccer cup? That's the modern "panem and circenses". bread and game. Why not. it is certainly better than war and blood, but it can often be a way to distract people from some issues. Panem (bread) is good, of course.

Tomorrow Germany plays US to prove that they're good at kicking a ball around;

Go Germany! Go US! Let us hope the best is the winner!

if they can't safeguard their democracy from getting legal system undermined and US intimidation, then at least they get to penetrate a fishing net with a spherical piece of cow skin, or its space age replacement nowadays, I guess...

Merkel, Obama, Hollande, etc. have more allegiance to each other than to their citizens. It's naive to assume that Merkel is German of Obama is American. They are world leaders and belong to the cast of the world leaders. They feed on patriotism to act against their people. In a globalised western world, patriotism is the old strategy of "divide and conquer".

I can't resist sharing what my favourite comedian (American, btw) has to say about nationalism and hating immigrants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsPDT5qHtZ4

He has an indoor smoking permit?

In many places, smoking on stage is allowed if part of an artistic performance.

I know. I need more clout in local bars. People have done all kinds of disgusting things on stage, like cut themselves and what not... my inability to do so (uhm smoke, not cut...) reflects my bad/needy/ overly polite PR strategy. You've got to have some things to look forward to in life, I suppose. To infinitely higher standards and beyond, lol. ;-) PGC

The people needs witches to hunt. May be we need more soccer cup!