On 6/25/2014 3:38 PM, LizR wrote:
On 26 June 2014 04:19, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
<mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    A very interesting paper filling out a conjecture by Scott Aaronson and
similar to
    Bruce's analysis but with more detail.  It doesn't so much solve the
foundational
    problem, as usually conceived, as define what FAPP must mean and quantify
it in
    computational terms (instead of probability units as I have proposed).

    /Computational solution to quantum foundational problems//
    //Arkady Bolotin//
    //(Submitted on 30 Mar 2014 (v1), last revised 16 Jun 2014 (this version,
v6))//
    //
    //    This paper argues that the requirement of applicableness of quantum
linearity
    to any physical level from molecules and atoms to the level of macroscopic
    extensional world, which leads to a main foundational problem in quantum
theory
    referred to as the "measurement problem", actually has a computational
character: It
    implies that there is a generic algorithm, which guarantees exact solutions
to the
    Schrodinger equation for every physical system in a reasonable amount of
time
    regardless of how many constituent microscopic particles it comprises. From
the
    point of view of computational complexity theory, this requirement is
equivalent to
    the assumption that the computational complexity classes P and NP are
equal, which
    is widely believed to be very unlikely. As demonstrated in the paper,
accepting the
    different computational assumption called the Exponential Time Hypothesis
(that
    involves P!=NP) would justify the separation between a microscopic quantum
system
    and a macroscopic apparatus (usually called the Heisenberg cut) since this
    hypothesis, if true, would imply that deterministic quantum and classical
    descriptions are impossible to overlap in order to obtain a rigorous
derivation of
    complete properties of macroscopic objects from their microstates.//
    //
    //Comments:     Paper accepted for publication in Physical Science
International
    Journal. Please refer to this (final) version as a reference//
    //Subjects:     Quantum Physics (quant-ph)//
    //Journal reference:     Phys. Sci. Int. J. 2014; 4(8): 1145-1157//
    //Cite as:     arXiv:1403.7686 [quant-ph]//
    //      (or *arXiv:1403.7686v6 *[quant-ph] for this version)/

I may have misinterpreted this paper (and god knows I don't have much time to look at them in depth) but the impression I got was that some computations are "too hard for nature to perform in time" and this time limit creates the Heisenberg cut. Is that a fair summary, or have I messed up again?

That's what I took it to say.