On 7/1/2014 9:40 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
But you don't have to prove something doesn't exist to reasonably fail to believe that it does. I don't have proof that there is no teapot orbiting Jupiter, but that doesn't make me epitemologically irresponsible to assert I don't believe there is one.

Careful as "I don't believe there is a teapot" is different from "I believe there is no teapot".

Personally, I don't believe that there is teapot orbiting Jupiter, but why would I believe that there is no teapot? I have no real evidences for that too. I have only a speculation extrapolated from my limited knowledge of teapot and Jupiter.

I might *bet* that there is no teapot, but then I can easily conceive losing the bet, by the usual "bad luck".

How you would bet and at what odds is the real measure of belief. I think you believe there is no teapot.