On 7/10/2014 1:21 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

<mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>:

    On 7/10/2014 12:19 PM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

    <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>:

        On 7/10/2014 4:08 AM, David Nyman wrote:

        In short, under physicalism, a 'computation' *just is* a particular
sequence
        of physical states. Indeed what else could it be? The states, so to
speak,
        come first and hence the notion that those states 'implement a
computation' is
        always an a posteriori attribution that neither need, nor can, bring
anything
        further to the party.

        I agree with all you wrote. But as Bruno says it's a reductio. Given
that it's
        absurd, the question is what makes it absurd.  I think it's the
assumption that
        the sequence of physical states constitutes a computation *independent*
of any
        reference to a world.  When you talk about your PC and accidental
compensation
        for a physical fault, the concept of 'compensation' already assumes a
correct
        operation - but what makes an operation correct?...it's relation to you
and the
        rest of the world.  A computation, a sequence of states simpliciter,
could be a
        computation of anything or of nothing.  So the intuition that the
computation
        still exists without the physical instantiation

    But that's how we know a given physical instantiation is said to compute
this or
    that, it's because it has a one/one mapping to the abstract computation...
the
    computation is what relates the input to the output... if we cannot relate a
    physical instantiation to the abstract algorithm, in what way could we say
it
    computes anything ?

    That's my point, we need the physical (a world) to impute meaning to the
    computational process

No we need computation to relate a physical instantiation to it (that's how we can say two != computers compute the same thing, it's because they relate to the same computation),

But that's not true. I have a differential equation integrator in my computer and it could be going through exactly the same states in two different instances; one computing heat transfer in a disc brake and other computing diffusion of pollutant in a pond. So there is not a one-one mapping either way.

that couldn't work the other way around... meaning is related to us, there is no meaning without consciousness, it seems to me nonsense to argue otherwise, but please add arguments to that instead of asserting it. Meaning is a consciousness construct.

That's just an assertion. Can you define consciousness without assuming "meaning", consciousness that it not consciousness *of* something?