On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 09:24:13PM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
> OOPS!  I hit "send" when I intended to "close" my email.  So here's another
> try at replying.
>
> On 9/16/2014 9:21 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> >Hi Russell, Hi Others,
> >
> >Sorry for the delay. Some comments on your (Russell) MGA paper appear below.

> >>I don't understand. How is having DNA relevant to having
> >>consciousness? It is quite plausible that non-DNA-based forms are
> >>conscious (eg a computer running a suitable AI program), and that
> >>some DNA-based forms are not conscious (trees, for example).
>
> DNA isn't relevant to consciousness.  It was just an example of
> something we share with ants, to point out that an argument that
> ants aren't conscious because if they were we'd be ants is invalid.

It is necessary to be conscious to be a member of the reference
class. It is probably not necessary to have DNA, but even if it were,
we'd also have to be conscious. So it is not correct to reason as
though DNA were the only relevant factor.

> But why is "consciousness" or "understanding the argument" the
> relevant attribute of "us"?  Why not "breathes oxygnen" or
> "metabolized carbohydrates"?

The anthropic argument is based on the brute fact of being. I take
this as being identical to being conscious. How could it be
otherwise? Breathing oxygen, or metabolising carbohydrates is not
relevant to being.

Principal, High Performance Coders

 Latest project: The Amoeba's Secret
         (http://www.hpcoders.com.au/AmoebasSecret.html)