On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 7:02 AM, <zibb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, November 17, 2014 11:49:06 AM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 16 Nov 2014, at 20:32, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List wrote:
>>
>> Interesting speculative physics… that makes claims that parallel worlds
>> may be testable.
>>
>> “A new theory, proposed by Howard Wiseman, Director of the Centre of
>> Quantum Dynamics at Griffith University, is different. No new universes are
>> ever created. Instead many worlds have existed, side-by-side, since the
>> beginning of time. “
>>

>> Well, to be sure, this is how Deutsch interprets Everett. Me too, even
>> for computationalism, where I sum up this by the Y = II rule. The
>> mutiplication (Y)  in the future duplicate the past (Y becomes II).
>>

> I once asked you if you shared Deutsch's interpretation of the MWI in
> terms of fungible worlds divergent by decoherance, but otherwise
> invariant in all dimensions a frozen structure, every thing that ever has,
> and ever will, ever can occur, frozen in little multidimensional capsule.

That is exactly how I see it. From computationalism, everything that can
possibly happen can be computed ahead of time
in a deterministic block multiverse. No need for time, energy or matter- it
is entirely mathematical- a 4 dimensional math space (actually pops out of
my metaverse` string cosmology). In a deterministic universe consciousness
and free will seem to also not be needed. But once the quantum mechanics of
energy and matter, along with conservation of mass/energy are introduced,
the multiverse becomes unique. That's what physics says. But lately, a
strong dose of entanglement is thought to be needed to change quantum
probabilities into statistical mechanics, the basis of ordinary
thermodynamics.
Richard

> You said you didn't, you saw it differently. I forget precisely what and
> how. Have you changed your mind at a point between? What was the crucial
> shift that fundamentally changed the picture for you?
>
> Perhaps you are now closely enough aligned with him that you will answer
> the question that he will not despite many times my asking.
>
> Deutsch explains in BoI chapter "The Reality of Abstractions" that
> abstractions have physical reality independent of dependence of emergent
> features from underlying, increasingly physical layers
>
> So, given independence, that is causal isolation, what is the physical
> mechanism by which decoherence at the quantum level, will trigger
> divergence, and divergence will replicate abstract layers that are
> independent of quantum forces?
>
> How does that happen? And if it doesn't happen precisely every single
> time, how can macroscopic reality be stable? Cause and effect would never
> endure
>
> Second challenge: If the two slit experiment is explained by divergent
> universes, then the pattern we see in the interval of 'collapse' is
> therefore the momentary isolation of just this universe as all the others
> diverge.
>
> Which means it should be distinctive in its own right, from what we shall
> see as the pattern in 'one slit' experiment.
> Is it? I shall bet it is indistinguishable.

The one-slit pattern is a smear with perhaps some diffraction oscillations
on the fringe of the smear.
The double-slit experiment shows a very distinctive interference pattern
instead and in place of the smear.

> Then, is the one slit experiment isolating this universe in some way?

There are an infinity of other universes in the one-slit experiment.
But say the incident photon has a certain frequency, that is a fixed energy.
The detection screen then records only one photon of the same frequency and
same energy.
Thereby quantum collapse ensures conservation of energy.
The infinite number of other worlds still exist mathematically in the Math
Space of the block multiverse...
But a recalculation, like making a wrong turn, must be done in Math Space
to account for quantum collapse.
The need for continual recalculations may be the foundation of time.
Richard