On 21 Jan 2015, at 01:27, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/20/2015 9:24 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
The only problem with using god for definition of god (large or small) is that it's circular. You repeatedly write things like above, "My belief in God is trivial. All machine introspecting are confronted to it, and from outside, in the metatheory, we can see that they can confused it (correctly, or not) with truth." Where God is "it", but there is no definition. The closest I've seen to you defining your god is "the unprovable truths of an axiomatic system" or "the fundamental basis of all being". The former is former is fairly clear and I can see how a self-referential system could "confront it". The latter may be a description without a referent and I don't see why a self-referential system would necessarily "confront it".

This is explained by the fact that, as Gödel already knew, machines can prove their own incompleteness. Thay can intuit and infer a notion of truth from the fact that they can prove <>t -> ~[]<>t, and actually inferred, from their tries here and now that they can't prove their consistency, and thus bet on ~[]<>t, and eventually bet on <>t as the simplest explanation of why they cannot prove <>t. So they can develop an intuition of truth, and undersatnd that they cannot define it, and that there are many true propositions that they cannot justify rationally, etc.

Suppose they prove (which is likely true of all humans) that they are inconsistent, on some point, but avoid ex falso quodlibet?

To extract the computationalist correct physics from the machine interview, we need only to interview ideally correct machine.

We can add later a non monotonical layer of provability with a notion of revising belief, and indeed the correct machine has it by incompleteness, but just never exploit it, which simplifies the task of getting the comp-correct physics.