On 25 Jan 2015, at 06:52, 'Roger' via Everything List wrote:

Roger: It's possible that what we see as existing is a simulation in some other computer. But, even if we are a simulation, the simulation that is us exists as does the computer and the code we're a simulation in. My thinking is aimed at trying to figure out there are existent entities, whether we call them simulations, singular arithmetic computations/propositions, or whatever, instead of there not being existent entities.

Existence and non-existence can be viewed as different perspectives on nothing…. existence and non-existence are emergent and understood in dialectic opposition to each other… they arise out of each other, and are defined in terms of each other.

-Chris

Chris,

I totally agree and that's what I've been trying to get at in my thinking and at the website. Well put!

And Peter Sas presents a similar idea, and maybe that idea could lead to the winner of the measure, who knows?, but what is sure is that if you make that idea precise enough, it will have to be Turing universal, if only to get the computers and the ability to run them (and taking the MGA into account)

I am not sure you want to play the game of making things precise, like formalizing it in some logic, or in some know theory. No problem, except that nothing is for me a bit like No-god, it means nothing without a precision on the word "thing" or "god".

The semantic of the empty theory is the class of all realities, in logic, so everything and nothing are dual, but we need to make the thing precise, and some laws on them, to explains precisely how something becomes apparent to conscious entities, and seems lawful, partially sharable, etc. I mean if you want make a testable theory.

Bruno

Roger

 https://sites.google.com/site/whydoesanythingexist/

and a more detailed explanation along with more philosophical stuff and a beginning model is at:

 https://sites.google.com/site/ralphthewebsite/

(click on 3rd link down)

While we are working on different models, it's been a great discussion. Thanks.