On 24 March 2015 at 13:07, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  Yes, as I understand it that's the argument.  It's consistent with
> Platonism.  A computer program's execution written out on paper is just as
> much a calculation as a lot of transistors switching.

So is the idea to show that a recording is just as conscious as the
original calculation?

> My caveat is that neither of them is conscious in THIS world because being
> conscious requires being conscious OF something.  An isolated, pure
> consciousness is an oxymoron.  Consciousness only exists as part of
> thoughts and thoughts only have meaning by reference to an external world
> and potential action in that world.

I am under the impression Bruno gets around that by potentially allowing
the environment to be simulated as well. Or contrariwise, can't all the
inputs to the conscisouness be provided as though it was in the world? (as
for a brain in a vat for example. I mean hypothetically, and to simplify
the argument, not as a general model of consciousness.)