On 27 March 2015 at 01:02, Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Quentin Anciaux wrote:

>>             This comes back to my original question: since all possible
>>         programs
>>             are run by the dovetailer, how do we ensure that conscious
>>         beings
>>             see an ordered and predictable world. Only a set of measure
>> zero
>>             among all possible programs would give that result.
>>
>>         Yes, it seems to me, we should see white noise, but maybe a
>>         selection attribute must be in play... like an anthropic argument.
>>

>>     Anthropic arguments are not going to work with computationalism
>>     because there is no basis on which you can assume underlying
>>     deterministic physical laws.
>>
>> It seems to me it works relatively.... consciousness like ours can only
>> experiment worls ordered like ours... even if almost all dreams/worlds
>> produced by mathematics are not like that and do not allow of consciousness
>> like ours, as you can only experience worlds like ours, it's no magic that
>> you do... like with Quantum Immortality, you cannot experience being dead,
>> so no wonder you find yourself alive, even if in almost all worlds you're
>> dead (or not existing at all).
>>

> But we do not need the degree of order that we observe. We could survive
> perfectly well with a reasonable number of miracles -- laws that don't
> quite work always. And there are vastly more possible worlds of that sort
> than those that are strictly deterministic. The measure problem gets you
> every time.
>
> Possibly, but how do you prove that's more likely to be experienced than
regularity? Do miracles require more or less bits to specify than "same
old, same old" ? Could the nature of consciousness be such that the most
likely continuer of a given observer moment is the one that has the least
available difference from the previous one (in some sense - is it possible
to do some maths on this? (must dig out TON....again....))