On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 5:40 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:
>
> > You are saying that step 3 is trivial, so you admit that it is correct
>>

> No. The first 2 steps are trivialities dressed up in pompous language, but
> in step 3 Bruno doesn't know what he's talking about, and I mean that
> literally not figuratively. The entire point of the "proof" is to show
> something about the nature of personal identity, and yet Bruno insists on
> throwing around unattributed personal pronouns like a drunken sailor throws
> around money. When this is pointed out Bruno starts talking about "The 1P",
> but there is no such thing as "The 1P" there is only "A 1P" Which 1P is he
> talking about? Bruno doesn't know and so can't tell us. Then Bruno starts
> talking about a diary, but I don't think ink on dried wood pulp is a person
> and so it has no first second or third person interpretation. Bruno very
> literally doesn't know what he's talking about.

It doesn't matter what the diary is. What matters is that there is some
recording of the sequence of events that each individual experiences from
their perspective -- and memories stored in the brain work just fine, and
are surely related to the concept of personal identity. There is the man
who remembers being in Brussels, and is now in Washington. There is the man
who remembers being in Brussels and is now in Moscow. Both men share the
exact same memores prior to Brussels. Both man remember not being able to
predict if they would see Washington or Moscow after the teleportation.
This is all you are asked to accept. The diaries are precisely a way to
talk easily about this topic without the ambiguities introduced by simple
pronouns, but it doesn't have to mean a pen and paper diary and I think you
know that.

What don't you accept here?

> And then Bruno says that if I reject the importance of his thought
> experiment I must also reject Quantum Mechanics in general and the Many
> Worlds Interpretation in particular because it is basically the same thing.

Not because they are the same thing, but because the reason you claim to
reject step 3 (pronoun confusion), if correct, would also be grounds for
rejecting the MWI. Because the MWI also explains quantum weirdness by
proposing that all alternatives happen, but your 1P only perceives one of
the paths, and this is where randomness arises from (just as before the
duplication).

> I patiently explain more than once (or twice) why this is not the case but
> the only rebuttal I get is that Quentin The Horse Fucker calls me "Liar
> Clark".
>
> And then Bruno says the ability to make correct predictions has something
> to do with the feeling of personal identity continuity and I think that's
> ridiculous and is just a matter of remembering who you were yesterday.

What is the difference between "the feeling of personal identity
continuity" and "remembering who you were yesterday"?

> And that is why I stopped reading after step 3, and after reading Bruno's
> posts for the last several years my conviction that I made the correct
> decision has only increased.
>

>> > Now you can proceed and tell us what you think of the rest of the
>> argument.
>>

> One does not need to eat the entire egg to know it is bad.

You don't strike me as the kind of man that would use common clichés to
justify a scientific position.

Telmo.