On 2 April 2015 at 13:12, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 4/1/2015 5:05 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 2 April 2015 at 13:02, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>   On 4/1/2015 4:47 PM, LizR wrote:
>>
>>  On 2 April 2015 at 11:41, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>>   On 4/1/2015 3:19 PM, LizR wrote:
>>>
>>>    So how does every other country in the world manage to have less
>>>>
>>>    For one thing they're poorer.  The number of households with a gun
>>> is far smaller than the number of guns.
>>>
>>>  What, all other countries are poorer than the US?
>>

>>  Of course not.  I'm just pointing out one of the factors.  Some, like
>> Switzerland, are richer...and have a higher percentage of households with
>> guns.
>>

>  So are you saying that there is a correlation between the per-capita
> income of a country and the number of households with guns? If so, have you
> got some stats?
>
> Yes, but I'm pointing out that the correlation is in part driven by the
> expense of buying a gun and ammunition.  So people in Bangladesh or Chad
> are not likely to buy a rifle for sport or hunting.  Whereas the US people
> that buy a rifle for sport or hunting tend to also have another rifle for
> target shooting and a shotgun or two and a couple of pistols.  That's why,
> although the number to guns in the US has gone up, the number of households
> with a gun has gone down.

So what about  Europe, Canada, Svalbard, etc?

I do of course agree with your point on a broad scale. I normally only say
that the USA has more guns per person than other countries in the first
world, since I assume the first world is roughly on a par economically. So
income inequality may partially explain the gap between the USA and India,
but not between the USA and the UK. I don't know about households (do the
Swiss have more people per household than the US, or something? Or are you
saying the map is wrong?) - this map only shows the average number of
civilian-owned guns per capita.