On Sat, Apr 4, 2015  Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

> If you take the MWI seriously, then you are open to the possibility that
> you are constantly being duplicated

If the MWI is true then it's not a possibility it's a certainty

> > Assuming you're like me, you perceive yourself as a single entity
> travelling through time in the forward direction.

You?
Mr. John Clark The Moscow Man will perceive a single entity, and Mr. John
Clark the Washington Man will perceive a single entity, and Mr. John Clark
The Helsinki Man will no longer perceive anything at all.

And John Clark is really starting to hate personal pronouns, as a exercise
try writing a paragraph or at least a sentence without using any, it will
do Telmo Menezes good.

 >> subjectively there is only one Stathis Papaioannou because they are
>> identical.
>>

> > Subjectively from whose perspective?
>

>From the only one that matters, from Stathis Papaioannou's perspective. Two
identical Stathis Papaioannous running in parallel is subjectively
identical to one.

> >>  After the doors are opened they no longer are identical because they
> see different things; one sees Moscow and becomes Mr. Stathis Papaioannou
> The Moscow Man, and the other sees Washington and becomes Mr. Stathis
> Papaioannou The Washington Man.

> > But before the doors are opened and after the duplication, you can ask
> them through the intercom to guess where they are.

The position of their brains is unimportant because until the door is
opened both are still identical to the Helsinki Man. A much better question
is to ask them to guess what will happen when the door opens. Both know
with 100% certainty that photons will impinge on them and will change them,
but they are uncertain if the photons will come from Moscow or from
Washington. But this is just the classical old fashioned sort uncertainty
that is due to simple lack of information, it's not inherent uncertainty of
the Quantum Mechanical sort.

Monty Hall always had the information about which door the car was behind,
and the person on the other end of that intercom knows which parallel copy
of Telmo Menezes will see photons coming from Moscow and turn into the
Moscow Man and which will see photons coming from Washington and turn into
the Moscow Man. But the information on if that atom of Carbon 14 will decay
in the next hour is not just unknown the information does not exist, it's
inherently uncertain.

  John K Clark

> If they are forced to make a bet, you will find that they tend to be right
> 1/2 of the time.

But the probability is about if the protons that come through that open
door will come from Moscow, in which Mr. Telmo Menezes

 you will change