On 19 Apr 2015, at 05:13, John Clark wrote:

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 5:57 PM, John Mikes <jami...@gmail.com> wrote:

> pls. tellme: what should we call 'information'?

Information is a measure of surprise, and it turns out that surprise is not
continuous but comes in lumps. And we understand quite a bit about
information, in fact information is the only thing we do understand.

I agree.

The problem is that the term information is also used, in the everyday
language, for "meaning" of some sentences. This is not directly related to
Shannon or algorithmic information theory, but more on semantics, model
theory, and other theories of "meaning" (usually less well know by the
general public)..

JM:

Looks like "I" agreed.  - Nope. - I would leave out from general meanings
the strictly human element of surprise. Information may have a static
content, well known before you may count it as a surprise. BTW I did not
restrain my contemplation to Shannon's or other algorithmic theory. Nor any
other 'human' theories for that matter. Nor to the dynamic process to
'format' - "in" into sthg.  I was asking about a term used without
restrictions in most languages.

I know: we can only 'think' with our 'human' mind, but we can try.