On 06 May 2015, at 14:28, Bruce Kellett wrote:

Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 06 May 2015, at 04:19, Bruce Kellett wrote:

Counterfactual correctness has not been shown to be necessary -- it is just an ad hoc move to save the argument.
Counterfactual correctness is the bone of what *is* a computation. To have a computation, you need a universal system capable of understanding instruction of the type IF A THEN B, ELSE C. The local truth of the C act must be "caused" by the local falsity of the A predicate. The computation is in the semantic of those type of truth, at some level description of yourself.

This is not necessary for computation.

I am afraid it is, at least with the standard notion of computation. I am not sure what you mean by computation, and from other post I doubt it is related to the standard notion.

It would occur only in a program that required branching at some point if the input at that stage differed. Computation is perfectly possible without this requirement. If you have a simple linear program that computes an output for each input, then a recording of the action for any particular input, when replayed, would reconstruct that computation exactly.

I disagree with this, but I will not insist as it is probably not relevant for the argument, given that MGA applies to computation which *might* be slightly more complex than the one described here. But I disagree because to have a computation, you need a universal number implementing it. With the movie, there is no universal number needed, at least to run the initial computation (Liz made that point too). If the movie is a computation, it is a "linear simple program" (trying to be open to your saying), which does not compute the kind of relation to have consciousness.

Counterfactual correctness is not required in such simple cases.

So, such simple case are not conscious, in the best attempt to guve sense to your notion of computation (which is not the standard).

And likewise, it is not required in more complicated situations, such as where there is a loop, say, that requires different actions on different iterations of the loop. The whole calculation, and hence its recording, follows all these iterations, and the recording reproduces them all exactly.

It reproduces exactly the physical activity which is contingently related to the physical implementation of that computation. But the MGA and maudlin just show that such a physical activity can be changed quasi-arbitrarily without changing the computation, just by changing the universal machine running it. This that consciousness, like we can intuit, is not even in the abstract computation, but in its semantic, which in this case refer to alternate branching (realized or not).

If this program instantiates a conscious moment, or a whole conscious life, replaying the recording recreates that moment or life.

In real time? Imagine the Nazis would have filmed the neural-glial processing of the brain of their victim. Are you saying that playing the movie at some time in some place would enacted the suffering at place and time, and so that such movie should be illegal and considered as torture?

Just as a recording of an orchestral symphony reproduces each bar of the symphony as well as the whole, following exactly the fact that each instrument plays different notes and sequences of notes in different contexts in the score. Conterfactual correctness is just a distraction.

You need it to have a semantics for the "if then else".

You need a computer.

But you can fix one universal system, and define all computations in that one.

I might come back on the combinators, as they are simpler to illustrate some points, here.

Without the notion of counterfactual correctness (or incorrectness) there is no remorse, no regret, no guilt, no will, no hesitation, no planning, no learning, ... You might be on the slope of consciousness and conscience elimination.

Are you OK that the consciousness phenomenon is real and that you are conscious, and not a p-zombie? Are you OK that consciousness is undoubtable, yet unprovable, even undefinable?

Well, you do believe in consciousness as you agree with "comp1", like John Clark, and others. Comp1 involves the notion of consciousness, by assuming it invariant for some digital substitution.

You can't question the actors in a James Bond movie and expect to get anything sensible, of course. But then, no one is suggesting that a movie of someone's face records the basis of their consciousness. The movie in question is a recording of the basic brain processes (at the necessary substitution level). This, when replayed, recreates the conscious moment -- not a new conscious moment, as you point out, but a conscious moment nonetheless.
The existence of the movie (perhaps with the checking that it *is* a computation) might be used to prove that the computation exist, and consciousness can be associated ... with the computation, but not with the description of the computation itself. But physical syupervenience would imply that, and so it is just wrong that consciousness supervene on a brain or a computer. It supervenes of the mathematical computation that a physical computer can incarnate, if the physical is the winner on the sum of all computations below the substitution level.
If it did not, then the original comp argument fails -- we could not replace all or part of our brain with a device performing the same operations.
We did assume that a computer is needed, for the local manifestation of my consciousness. At this stage, assuming it is has to be primitively physical is begging the question.

What does beg the question is your assumption that the physical substrate, be it primitive or not, can be dispensed with.

<sigh>

There are two things.

1) the mathematical facts, well known by the experts (who even asked me to suppress any explanation on that as it is trivial for anybody having grasp the ten first hours of course in that matter) that the notion of computability is mathematical, with CT, and even arithmetical, actually sigma_1 arithmetical. here we dispense with physics, like we dispense with physics in any branch of math, except of course when they are used or applied to physical problems.

2) Neither comp, nor MGA ever *assumes* that the physical substrate can be dispensed with.

Comp, comp1 if you want, entails, not that we can dispense of physical substrate, but that we cannot use it to select consciousness, without adding magical actual non Turing emulable abilities (nor FPI recoverable).

You remind me that I have to comment a post by Liz, which compared Napoleon/Laplace with this, but she was not correct. Laplace said to Napoleon that he did not need the hypothesis of God. Comp says that it cannot uses the hypothesis of Matter, without making it a God-of-the- gap. Laplace said ~[] (God is not necessary). Comp says here ~<> (Matter is not possible, defining matter by what is observable). Comp makes primitive matter into a phlogiston, like special relativity makes ether into a phlogiston. Assuming comp, or more exactly comp? (you need to be aware of the hypothetical character, comp might imply that the "believer " in comp go to hell!)).

MGA does not establish that either the original computer, or the recording of its operation run on another physical device, can simply be disregarded.

I think MGA does it once you understand that for a mathematician the notion of computability, based on CT, is a mathematical notion, and actually an arithmetical notion.

You are the one invoking some God which has to intervene to make a computation more real than others.

And so avoid the real problem confronted by people taking seriously enough comp (comp1) (CT+YD): we must get an explantion why some computations seems more probable than aberrant dreams or white noise.

And that problem is a problem in math, and I give a way to handle it which preserve the diffrence between the justifiable and the no justifiable. But you overlook that.

If you take away both the physical device and the record player, then you no longer have the conscious moment and/or life.

Well, then there is a flaw in the argument. But you don't seem to study the argument.

Minimally, you can see UDA as a failed attempt to refute comp. And AUDA as a refutation that UDA refutes computationalism. But AUDA is constructive and gives the logic(s) of the observable (assuming only RA and some general definitions).

Is it not nice (at the least) that the qubit to bit path is a two way road?

Bruno

Bruce